Make Gmail your default email program
If you’re using Google Chrome, Safari or Firefox you can designate Gmail as your default email program so any hyperlinked email address in your browser will open a Gmail “Compose mail” window when clicked. Your email will then be sent through your Gmail account. You’ll be changing your browser’s default settings, which may currently open Outlook or some other desktop-based email program.
This feature is especially useful if you rely upon a cloud-based application such as ClientLook CRM to manage contacts. To re-wire your browser to send your email through Gmail try implementing any of the solutions below.
Set Gmail as default email client in Chrome
If you use Google Chrome as your browser, then installing this Chrome extension (plug-in) should do the trick. Here’s all you need:
- Install the Send from Gmail extension for Google Chrome.
Set Gmail as default email client in Safari
If you use Safari as your browser, then there’s an extension you can install to ensure that your outgoing web mail goes through Gmail. Just follow this simple step:
- Install the Gmail This extension for Safari. Find it in the list and click “Install now”.
Set Gmail as default email client in Firefox
If you use Firefox as your browser, then you can adjust a setting in your Firefox preferences to enable Gmail as your email provider of choice. Try this:
- In the “Tools” menu in Firefox, click the “Options” link.
- Click the “Applications” tab.
- In the search bar enter “mailto”. Change the Action for this to “Use Gmail”.
Set Gmail as default email client in Internet Explorer (IE)
For those of you still using IE, you will need to install the Google Toolbar, as IE doesn’t give you an option. Here’s how:
- Install the Google Toolbar add-on for Internet Explorer
- After installing it, click on the wrench icon in the upper right corner.
- In the “Web browsing tools” section, select “Use GMail for ‘Mail to’ links” and click save. Ready to go!